Moderators: MrMagpie, tom_cas1, Caitlin

Arctic Monkey's new album...

Postby betterstill85 » 09 May 2018, 22:47

Has anyone else give it a spin yet?

My thoughts are here: http://www.secretmeeting.co.uk/arctic-m ... ino-review
betterstill85

Re: Arctic Monkey's new album...

Postby stephen » 11 May 2018, 11:06

I know you're just shamelessly plugging your website but I'll contribute.

I've only listened to the first 4 songs this morning before work but was pleasantly surprised. I really need to give it a few more listens but can kind of judge the album based on the setting of those songs. Alex has always been a great song writer but his singing and acting on stage makes me cringe, having said that the music and lyrics behind it are worth the mild irritation.

It's not a massive shock to me that they have some what calculated their slight change in direction, I think a band that has been around and been as successful as they are have to change with the times or attempt to do something new.
Westway wrote:pyongyang and mirrorball are really good
stephen

Postby Mark87uk » 12 May 2018, 20:23

I've only played thru once whilst at work, I've got to say I thought it was very bland self indulgent poppycock. Music to be played whilst in an elevator. It smacks of an album where there might be a second release of more uptempo tracks released sooner rather than later. Whatever people say the arctic monkeys are, this is what their not
Mark87uk

Postby Mallard No. 22 » 14 May 2018, 06:27

....I bet it sounds **** on the dancefloor.... :)
"Everybody's Doing It...So Do It Too...."
Mallard No. 22

Postby aldamasta » 14 May 2018, 23:56

I dig most of what I've heard. Still haven't given it a proper spin on the record player (the silver vinyl and the gatefold look great!), but I'm just happy to have what I see is an improvement since AM. I was not a fan of that album, nor Suck It And See, really. I think this album has some great grooves and some fun, far out (mainly lyrical) concepts. And I really love the lead single, Four Out of Five. Love the simple little riff, so catchy.

While their debut is still my favorite, with Favourite Worst Nightmare and Humbug close behind, this may be the first time I like an Arctic Monkeys album better than the previous. I've come to terms with the fact that the Arctic Monkeys have moved on in almost all respects from their start in Sheffield singing about clubs and youth, despite it being my favorite part about them, so I think I'm more open to their future/progress. With all that being said, I can certainly see how this album alienates fans both old and new. I don't mind a bit of a controversial album, as the discussions can sometimes be more interesting for it.

Also, I'm hoping to catch the Monkeys live in July... I saw them at Bonnaroo in 2014 from a slight distance, so I'm excited to get up close and hopefully get a good mix of songs from Tranquility Base and from their wonderful back catalogue.
aldamasta

Postby guidedbyvoices » 20 May 2018, 05:07

Did not impress me. I've never been a fan though.
guidedbyvoices

Postby bugman » 20 May 2018, 22:26

love it love it! my 3rd best album, in ths year, so far
bugman

Postby Styopa » 21 May 2018, 14:38

I'm really loving this album too - I've had it on repeat since last Friday. It flows brilliantly with every song sounding like it belongs on there and has some really witty and insightful lyrics from Alex Turner. I really like the slightly dark, twisted, dystopian jazz- lounge vibe of the record - it reminds me of a collection of short stories by JG Ballard set in an imaginary vacation resort called Vermillion Sands.

I'd never actually listened to an Arctic Monkeys album before so I guess I went to this record with completely different set of expectations to someone familiar with their previous work.
Styopa

Postby AdvertBreak » 22 May 2018, 16:08

Never liked the Monkeys, but the new album is pretty good.

Reminds me of Jordan-era Prefab Sprout actually, and even the quieter songs of The Good, the Bad & the Queen, albeit if they were intended for French cabaret nightclubs, which naturally is an idea that rather appeals to me.

If I was being really generous I'd say the album has a similar introspective, sophisticated hotel misery comedown vibe as the likes of Pulp's This is Hardcore, Dexys Midnight Runners' Don't Stand Me Down and the Smashing Pumpkins' Adore - not that its as good as any of those albums obviously

Adore is probably a good comparison because you know that - like that album - the Monkeys album'll sell 20% of what its predecessor sold and has divided all the fans but will get a little cult following going over the years.

But yeah the idea and the execution of the Monkeys going lounge pop is a thumbs up from me.

The constant Bowie comparisons seem lazy imo.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~chemical_think_tank
AdvertBreak

Postby Rubi » Today, 20:36

It's a great record, and one very hard to get into at first, especially for fans of their previous works. My first listen was horrible, I thought I would hate it. But then I realized I needed to give it time, and after 6-7 listens I was hooked.

Arctic Monkeys have never been afraid to change and explore new sounds and styles. From the early punk rock years, to the experimental stoner/psychedelic vibes of Humbug and Suck It and See, to the R&B-influenced AM. But the change in direction in this one is strong. They've completely re-invented themselves in a way that very few people were expecting. And it's not just the music per se, but also the lyrical content of the songs and Alex's singing style.

Once again they are proving to be one of the best bands of the 21st century.
Rubi

Return to Music Is My Radar